25 Jul 10 Things to Look for in an All-in-One Printer
What is all-in-one-printer?
All-in-one-printer is a device capable of performing multiple tasks such as colour/monochrome printing, copying, scanning, and faxing. It is also sometimes known as a multifunction colour printer. This best all in one printer is very useful in a small business as it covers the functions of four or more devices. These devices if bought separately would not only require premium office space but also electricity to run the different units and maintenance of the four devices.
Things to look for in the best all in one printer:
- Functionality – Apart from printing and copying what other functions would you like your all in one printer to have? Select only the functions that you require in your day to day business. If you send out faxes then ensure that you look for fax in your best all in one printer, similarly, if you print colour photos then you will need a multifunction colour printer to be able to print colour photos.
- Print Technology – Will it be an inkjet or a laser printer? Modern inkjet printers have come a long way from the early generations. They also have a small footprint and smaller and cheaper ink cartridges. Laser printers, on the other hand, have more consistent printing and cheaper in the longer run.
- Scanning Features – If you are regularly scanning multi-page documents then you will certainly require an automatic document feeder. This will make life much easier and cut a lot of time manually feeding the pages. A lot of all in one printer also comes with a flatbed scanner. Apart from this, the scanner needs to be of a good resolution such as 1200 by 1200 dots per inch (DPI) and 24 bits depth to produce a clear image of the scan. Higher DPI and scanner bit depth will produce clearer and crispier images.
- Print Resolution – It is important to have a decent print resolution such as 1200 by 600 or 1200 by 1200 DPI. There is usually a trade-off between print quality and speed. You will need to weigh the best all in one printer between speed and quality and choose according to whatever is important.
- Print Performance and Duty Cycle – Print speed is an important factor to consider when multiple personnel would be printing reports or forms for their customers. It is nothing worse than being held up due to a slow printer when you have a customer waiting for your report. If two thousand pages per month printer are used in a five thousand pages per month environment, then two things will happen, there would be frequent cartridge changes and it will also have a shorter life as it would be overworked.
- Network Connectivity – If a colour multifunction printer is going to be accessed by multiple computers then it definitely requires an integrated Ethernet networking interface. Without a network connection, the capabilities of the printer are limited to that of one computer. With a network connection, multiple users will be able to send their print jobs to the same printer and have it queued for printing.
- Wireless Connectivity – Whilst there may be fixed desktop computers for regular employees there may also be portable laptops for salespeople and teleworkers who may come into the office from time to time to do some printing. The all in one printer having wireless connectivity will resolve to have to connect a cable between the printer and the laptop. A lot of modern inkjets and laser printers come with wireless connectivity as standard which is very useful for ad-hoc printing.
- Driver Support – The printer will usually have driver support to print from current windows operating system machines. If there are computers on other operating systems such as Mac OS, UNIX and Linux then driver support for the different operating systems is necessary to be able to print on the printer.
- Duplex Printing – If multipage reports are printed for the office use only, then duplex printing is a must. This will save on the paper cost as printing would be on both sides of the paper.
- Replacement Cartridge Cost and Availability – Whichever printer you choose please ensure that the replacement cartridges are readily available and at a reasonable cost. It is a tendency for some of the printer manufacturers to price their printers low and charge exorbitant prices for the cartridges as this way they can make money from the printer until it is discarded.
Above is just a snippet of what to look for when purchasing the best all in one printer for your office. If you are still unsure of what to purchase or what to look for in your next printer, please speak with one of our account managers on 1300 865 426. They will be able to guide you on what to purchase.
Carrier1 Telecom is 100% Australian owned with service from within Australia. They market the full range of Fuji-Xerox, OKI and Kyocera printers.
You May Also Like: